A simulation exercise in which officials pretended a woman with Ebola had entered Lesotho has caused panic in southern Africa.
The incorrect story that was reported in the southern African press said that a woman in South Africa had come into contact with another woman from the Democratic Republic of Congo and then crossed the border from South Africa into Lesotho.
Lesotho’s health ministry incorrectly told the press that a woman had been rushed to hospital after displaying symptoms of the virus and had been tested positive for Ebola.
But the National Institute for Communicable Diseases in South Africa clarified that it was actually just an exercise and no-one had tested positive for Ebola.
It went on to say that the scenario in the exercise was unlikely to happen.
Multiple news sites said Lesotho’s Health Minister Nkaku Kabi had incorrectly confirmed the case. He is expected to talk later on Thursday at a press conference.